ACADEMIC GRADE: Bachelor in Juridical and Social Sciences
PROFESSIONAL DEGREES: Attorney and Notary, Master in Business Administration (MBA) and Postgraduate Specialization in Business Law (Competence).
MASTER IN BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (MBA), from Valparaíso de Chile University, Chile.
POSTGRADUATE SPECIALIZATION IN BUSINESS LAW (COMPETENCE- TRADEMARKS AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY), from Salamanca University, Spain.
LICENCIATURA EN CIENCIAS JURÍDICAS Y SOCIALES, en la Universidad Francisco Marroquín de Guatemala.
BACHELOR IN JUDICIAL AND SOCIAL SCIENCES, from Francisco Marroquín University, Guatemala.
ATTORNEY AND NOTARY, from Francisco Marroquín University, Guatemala.
HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA, from Valle Verde High School, Guatemala.
Our Founder Partner has more than 12 years of private professional practice and more than 20 years in the labor area, where he has focused and specialized in the field of Intellectual Property, especially with trademarks, patents, and copyrights. He has extensive experience in the following fields: Negotiation and Real State Law related to the development of residential projects such as vertical constructions; Banking, in aspects such as trusts and bank credits; Corporate Law; and, Hydrocarbons.
He has also worked as Legal Advisor of the Presidency of the Superior Court of Justice of the Republic of Guatemala, where he specialized in legal analysis of administrative cases and issuance of rulings and resolutions projects for the Presidency and General Management of the Judicial Branch. Also, he was in charge of the handling and resolution of administrative processes within the Supreme Court of Justice and the resolution of revision and repeal resources, constitutional guarantees (amparo), rules and international treaties, bills, tenders, and administrative contracts; as well as labor or administrative rulings and resolutions.
At the beginning of his career he worked for several law firms in Guatemala where he specialized in Trademark Law, Intellectual Property, and Corporate Law. He also worked as Legal Advisor and Notary for several multinational companies such as Productos Avon de Guatemala, S. A., Colgate-Palmolive, Seguros Panamericana, BAC Florida Bank, and Syngenta Lan, S. A., among others. Moreover, he was in charge of civil, commercial, administrative contentious (fiscal and trademarks areas), and criminal judicial proceedings; custom compensations; and, environmental administrative proceedings. He also specialized in the area of commercial and civil law related to contracts and all sorts of legal documents preparation, as well as processing Temporary and Permanent Residences, and work permits for foreign business people and executives.
Interview and newspaper article titled: “Leaving your mark with a Name” (“La huella se deja con un nombre”). Prensa Libre Newspaper, Economy and Entrepreneurs Section, May 1, 2012. Read the full interview here.
Interview by Prensa Libre Newspaper regarding the Importance of Registration of a Trademark for Small and Medium Companies, June 26, 2012.
University publication titled: “Collective Agreement as a Professional Law”.
Postgraduate publication titled: “Design of a Competitive Strategy for a Law Firm in the Law Services Market of Guatemala through identifying the key value chain links.
Publication of advisory opinion on the Arbitrary Process in Guatemala for the Magazine Estrategia & Negocios, May 2006.
• 2007 Seminar on Mandatory Clauses for the Creation of a Trust, Guatemala City, imparted by legal expert, PhD Carlos Dávalos from México
• 2004 Seminar on the Analysis of the Management-Disciplinary Process of the Judicial Branch.
• 2003International Seminar on “Contracts of Business Collaboration” and “Joint Ventures”, imparted by Francisco Marroquín University and Pontificia
Bolivariana University of Colombia.
• 2002 Updating Seminar on Electronic Agreements and Electronic Signatures imparted by Del Istmo University.
• 2002 Seminar on Negotiation Skills and Techniques.
• 2001 Seminar on Offshore Entities, and Fiscal and Financial Planning Instruments.
• 2001 Seminar on Taxation Law and Taxation Code Amendments.
• 2001 Diploma for Notary-Law Studies, given by the Notary Law Institute, Guatemala
• 1999 Seminar on Banking and Stock Market, Studies on previous experiences of Colombia, Mexico, and Guatemala.
• 1999 Seminar on International Commercial Law, Guatemala.
• 1999 Seminar on Forensic Dentistry, Guatemala.
• Member of American Chamber of Commerce/Guatemala (AMCHAM).
• Member of the Intellectual Property Committee, AMCHAM.
• Member of the Bar Association in Guatemala since 2001.
• Founder Partner of the Law Firm Rivera-Córdova & Cordero.
AREAS OF SPECIALTY:
• Intellectual Property.
• Commercial Law (Corporate Advising).
• Real Estate Law (Establishment of horizontal property regimes, Condominiums, parcels, land divisions, purchases-sells, easements, etc.)
• Trusts and Bank Credits
• Civil and Business Litigation
• Administrative Proceedings
• Notary Services